10. Big-Headed Turtles
Length: 12-15 inches
This kind of turtles cannot able to protect their heads inside their shells but it can defend themselves with its strong bite. Box-headed types of turtles are commonly found in South and Southeast Asia. The approximate lifespan of this turtles are nearly 30 years. It can be easily identified by its large-head though it have few similarities with snapping turtles. Big-headed turtles lives in mountain streams, rocky and brooks. Naturally they are not good swimmers but so good in climbing trees and rocks.
11. Pig-Nosed Turtles
Length: up to 28 inches
These turtles are almost completely aquatic and it inhabits in rivers, swamps, streams, lagoons and as well as lakes. Pig-nosed turtle are largely found in Australian continent in fresh water source and also in few parts of South-east Asia. The total weight of this species can reach up to 20 kg and estimated lifetime averages around 40. Though it seems omnivores, it is mainly an herbivores that eats fruit such as bush apples and figs which fall from shoreline trees.
What does a Turtle Eat as a Pet?
Several kind of turtles are considered as pets for many human beings. Pet turtle can consume lot of foods that are equivalent to that of humans. Depends on the species, it gets differ for many turtles as some eats vegetables and greens and some looks for fruits. The most popular food categories that provides for pet turtles are:
- Greens: collard greens, lettuce, kale, spinach and carrot tops
- Vegetables: corn, beans, yams, carrots, peas, beets and squash
- Proteins: crickets, mealworms, earthworms, boiled eggs and snails
- Fruits: mango, kiwi, tomato, strawberries, banana, cantaloupe, apples and grapes
- Flowers: carnations, lilies, petunias, dandelions and geraniums
What do Turtles eat in General?
There are more than 300 species of this reptile exists in the world. Some turtle species prefer carnivores while most turtles prefer omnivores as they eat both plants and animals. Sea turtles mainly depends on sea squirts, crabs, jellyfish, shrimp and cuttlefish. While, the land turtles heavily depends on fruits, vegetables, earthworms, snails and other insects. Though it’s a sea turtle or land turtle but both needs clean drinking water to rehydrate and cool down. Majorly all the turtle species comes under three categories to their diets:
- Carnivores: Animals that primarily eats meat and tissue
- Herbivores: Animals that mainly eats plants
- Omnivores: Animals that eats both meat and plants
What does Turtles eat in the Wild?
Turtles that live in the wild are similar to other reptiles as they eat any kind of food that come across. Also, it depends on the form of turtle nature and their habitat. The wild turtles normally use to eat lot of plants, snails, small insects, earthworms and dead marine fish. Proteins are extremely all-important for wild turtles to develop or grow. Land turtles and aquatic turtles have different diets to follow:
Aquatic Turtle Diet:
Softshell turtles usually eat protein that can be found in water sources. Though, larger snapping turtles may look at ducks sometimes and other birds resting on water surfaces.
Land Turtle Diet:
Desert tortoises are typically herbivores that eats vegetation in their region. Foods that included in their diet are,
- Cacti and cactus pears
- Fruits such as raspberries, blueberries and palmetto berries
8 Interesting Facts about Turtles
- Fast in water: These creatures can able to swim quickly in water. The normal swimming speed is about 35 miles per hour.
- Long Living: This kind of species can live more than hundred years easily. The main reason is that, it has excessively slow rate of breathing, inhaling and exhaling.
- Diet: Though each type of species require different form of diets as per their nature habitat, it still can live a year without eating food.
- Perception: They have a good sense of odor, color and can able to differentiate them by smelling it.
- Flakes: These species body skin sheds into tiny flakes as compared to other reptilian creature pieces.
- Sharp Beak: Turtles have a sharp beak as compare to other animals that having teeth to break and eat food.
- Drown: A land turtle can survive for several hours with single deep breath, whereas aquatic turtles can stay for many days underwater. They do this with the help of little oxygen and can drown underwater for too long similar to crocodiles, snakes, alligators, and dolphins.
- Turtles Shell: It is actually a part of its skeleton and each shell is made up of around 60 separate bones that connected together. The high doomed upper shells mostly acts as a protection for themselves against predators.
Turtles are one of the attractive creatures in this world. In this article, you can notice what do turtles eat normally and their other interesting facts and their estimate lifetime. Some of the turtle types are considered to be adorable pets for many reasons.